Tuesday, February 6, 2007

A new Bloody post

I've done nothing all day. It isn't even that cold out. As I mentioned in my last post, I don't have classes on Tuesdays. It really nice, actually. I took today to settle down for the nonstop running I've been doing the past two weeks. It caught up to me and I slept until noon. Yay me! Anyway, four o'clock has come around and I've decided to comment on chapters 2 and of Ms. Blood's book.

Chapter 3:

I liked this chapter. I'm glad that its apparent how difficult it is to write every day. I found myself wondering if I should post something just to post something. After reading chapter 2, I realized that if I did that, I'd be putting you all to sleep with my ranting and raving. I also found myself enjoyed the self-awareness portion of the chapter. The more I write about something, I might realize if something is bothering or making me happy. I know writing can do that, but maybe its different than writing it down on paper. On something like a blog, the information flows freely.

Blood points out the audiences we are building. I spent the last half hour or so skimming blogs online for our project in class. I found myself searching several similar, yet very different blogs about subjects I enjoy. As I bookmarked a handful of blogs, I tied it back into this chapter. I was becoming the audience. The blogs I found had links to blogs I liked better or found more interesting.

Blood tells her readers’ that the happiness derived from a weblog will depend on your interest and your ability to devote sufficient time to the project, and your commitment to keeping the rest of your life in balance. (p. 35) Does she know me?? It seems like she is saying exactly what I keep trying to tell myself to do to keep on top of this and all my other classes. She is a genius.

Chapter 4:

Trying to maintain a blog can only show us if we'll enjoy it or not. Thus far in Morgan's class, I've found myself liking keeping up on my blog. I don't know that I've very good at it yet, or if anyone else likes it. I take that back, I don't care what you think. ANYWAY, Blood tells us the only tools we need to form and maintain a blog is our own minds. We create everything on our own, no software or strings attached. Blood reassures us that most new webloggers do not have a technical background and for them there is a vast mysterious expanse in the world of blogs. Easy and free are the guidelines for anyone weblogger. We're not supposed to get ahead of ourselves and make this into a complex activity.

Page 43 of chapter 3 has questions a blogger (like myself) can ask themselves about their blogs. I went through and read them, I'm doing ok.

Blood breaks down what a blog entitles: Archive, copyright notice, email address, sidebar, permalinks, search, comment systems. Along with these basics, blogs can be designed any way. Templates are rare, but a blogger can make them their own. I personally, like to change mine up. Its like rearranging my room, I'll always get sick of looking at the same old thing.

Chapter 3 also touches on the name of the blog. Make it unique! The name a blog is given sets up its reputation. I chose my blogs name because of my last name and how much fun people have with it. I'm thinking so far, I'm doing ok in the blog world :)

No comments: