Tuesday, February 6, 2007

I'm not boring after all!!

Rebecca Blood is a genius. Well, in any sense I am really starting to like her writing. Chapter 4 was an eye opener about blogging. I had the thinking that everyone else in my Weblog class was more interesting than me and was doing better work than me. Rebecca even said herself that, that feeling still happens to her! Who would have thunk??
Chapter 4 deals with the freedom you have in your blog. It is seriously YOUR space. Rebecca encourages bloggers to write about what interests them, what they think is funny, and what they find in their junk drawers. Weird? Maybe.
This chapter also touches on the fact of audience. As bloggers, we should be thinking about who we are writing for. Or...who we AREN'T writing for. I think that makes a little more sense. Audience is key. Rebecca encourages bloggers not to write about anything you wouldn't say in a job interview. That makes a lot of sense. Also, if your blog is to keep up with friends and family, as many are, don't write something you wouldn't want grandma reading.
Blogs are all about self-expression. They're a place to vent, observe, gloat or be silly. I want my blog to be more of a self-expressive blog. If I have a bad day, don't worry, you'll probably hear about it. Blogs are also a great way to keep in touch. Take facebook for example. I find facebook a form of a social network blog. I can keep in touch with my friends that go to school out of state way better than I could without it. Blogs are really a great solution!
Rebecca comments about the reputation a blog and you have. Again, be careful what is said in blogs. Take note of who has access to it. Webloggers can educate themselves through blogs. They essentially become experts on a given subject(s).
A weblog's purpose is up to the creator. We are encouraged to write what we are interested in. A good weblogger updates often. It doesn't have to be every day or every week. Just enough to update on life. Don't stray away from who you are. Don't focus posting things just to make other people happy. Make yourself happy! Someone will always have a larger audience than you do. Don't try to compete with them, you'll never come out on top.
All in all, our blog are our space. We need to have fun with them, speak our mind, and switch it up every now and then. I think that I've come a long way in just two weeks with my blog and Rebecca has reassured me that I am right! Keep up the good work, Emily!

No comments: